2020 California State Fair Homebrew Competition Info
Registration is closed.
Entry registration is closed.
Entry Registration & Fees
1. Entry Registration: Entry registration (via online State Fair Homebrew Competition website noted below). All entries must be delivered by Saturday, Feb. 15, 2020 by 12:00 pm. No extension of the entry date is planned. Official guidelines are also available at castatefair.org/ homebrew
2. Entry Fees: Registration fees are $15.00 per entry. Payment must be via check, money order or PayPal. NO CASH ACCEPTED FOR ENTRIES. Do Not send Payments with Entries. Payment must be received in advance by the date above per one of the following methods:
a. PayPal– Using online California State Fair Homebrew Competition web-site castatefair.org/homebrew. Before midnight February 15th, 2020;
b. Check or money order payable to “California State Fair” at Homebrew Competition, California State Fair, PO Box 15649, Sacramento, CA 95852
3. Checks and money orders must be accompanied by a list of entry numbers for the identification of the sender. For any entries that are registered but not submitted, PLEASE notify the competition organizers immediately after the entry deadline. Refunds are available for those that miss the entry deadline and notify the organizers prior to the start of judging.
1. Additional Information: Should there be any information desired and not found in the prospectus, please contact of Homebrew Competition Director - email@example.com.
2. Revisions: This is sent out in advance and therefore may be subject to revision or change.
3. Mailing List and Notification: Although we try to keep mailing lists current, we cannot be held responsible for any individual that is not notified or contacted.
RULES & REQUIREMENTS
- Brewers must be official residents of California and be at least 21 years of age. Beers must be made in the home for private non-commercial use. Brews made at the commercial brewery (e.g., nano or micro-brewery) or a Brew - on - Premise are not allowed.
- Brewers are limited to three entries per category. Each entry, however, must be in separate subcategories.
- Most categories are divided into distinct styles, and beer will be judged as that style. Be sure to indicate on the registration form and the bottle entry form both the category of the entry and the style of the entry within the category. For example Category: Standard American Beer: Cream Ale. Entries that do not specify a style on the entry form may be disqualified at the discretion of the Homebrew Committee.
- Submission of Entry(s) to this competition implies acceptance of all rules and conditions as stated in the Homebrew Guidelines and the California State Fair General Rules which can be found at http://www.castatefair.org/homebrew.
- For consideration of Home Brew Club of the Year, ensure that your club affiliation is associated with each entry online.
- If you are unsure of the category your beer should be entered in, contact the head judge or a competition representative. The Committee reserves the right to modify categories as needed.
BJCP 2015 Judging Styles
If a style's name is hyperlinked, it has specific entry requirements. Click or tap on the name to view the subcategory's requirements.
|1A American Light Lager||1B American Lager||1C Cream Ale|
|1D American Wheat Beer||2A International Pale Lager||2B International Amber Lager|
|2C International Dark Lager||3A Czech Pale Lager||3B Czech Premium Pale Lager|
|3C Czech Amber Lager||3D Czech Dark Lager||4A Munich Helles|
|4B Festbier||4C Helles Bock||5A German Leichtbier|
|5B Kolsch||5C German Exportbier||5D German Pils|
|6A Marzen||6B Rauchbier||6C Dunkels Bock|
|7A Vienna Lager||7B Altbier||7C Kellerbier|
|8A Munich Dunkel||8B Schwarzbier||9A Doppelbock|
|9B Eisbock||9C Baltic Porter||10A Weissbier|
|10B Dunkels Weissbier||10C Weizenbock||11A Ordinary Bitter|
|11B Best Bitter||11C Strong Bitter||12A English Golden Ale|
|12B Australian Sparkling Ale||12C English IPA||13A Dark Mild|
|13B English Brown Ale||13C English Porter||14A Scottish Light|
|14B Scottish Heavy||14C Scottish Export||15A Irish Red Ale|
|15B Irish Stout||15C Irish Extra Stout||16A Sweet Stout|
|16B Oatmeal Stout||16C Tropical Stout||16D Foreign Extra Stout|
|17A British Strong Ale||17A1 Burton Ale||17B Old Ale|
|17C Wee Heavy||17D English Barleywine||18A Blonde Ale|
|18B American Pale Ale||19A American Amber Ale||19B California Common|
|19C American Brown Ale||20A American Porter||20B American Stout|
|20C Imperial Stout||21A American IPA||21B Specialty IPA|
|21B1 Belgian IPA||21B2 Black IPA||21B3 Brown IPA|
|21B4 Red IPA||21B5 Rye IPA||21B6 White IPA|
|21B7 New England IPA||22A Double IPA||22B American Strong Ale|
|22C American Barleywine||22D Wheatwine||23A Berliner Weisse|
|23B Flanders Red Ale||23C Oud Bruin||23D Lambic|
|23E Gueuze||23F Fruit Lambic||24A Witbier|
|24B Belgian Pale Ale||24C Biere de Garde||25A Belgian Blond Ale|
|25B Saison||25C Belgian Golden Strong Ale||26A Trappist Single|
|26B Belgian Dubbel||26C Belgian Tripel||26D Belgian Dark Strong Ale|
|27A Historical Beer||27A1 Gose||27A2 Piwo Grodziskie|
|27A3 Lichtenhainer||27A4 Roggenbier||27A5 Sahti|
|27A6 Kentucky Common||27A7 Pre-Prohibition Lager||27A8 Pre-Prohibition Porter|
|27A9 London Brown Ale||28A Brett Beer||28B Mixed Fermentation Sour Beer|
|28C Wild Specialty Beer||29A Fruit Beer||29B Fruit and Spice Beer|
|29C Speciality Fruit Beer||30A Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer||30B Autumn Seasonal Beer|
|30C Winter Seasonal Beer||31A Alternative Grain Beer||31B Alternative Sugar Beer|
|32A Classic Style Smoked Beer||32B Specialty Smoked Beer||33A Wood-Aged Beer|
|33B Specialty Wood-Aged Beer||34A Clone Beer||34B Mixed-Style Beer|
|34C Experimental Beer||C1A New World Cider||C1B English Cider|
|C1C French Cider||C1D New World Perry||C1E Traditional Perry|
|C2A New England Cider||C2B Cider with Other Fruit||C2C Applewine|
|C2D Ice Cider||C2E Cider with Herbs/Spices||C2F Specialty Cider/Perry|
|M1A Dry Mead||M1B Semi-Sweet Mead||M1C Sweet Mead|
|M2A Cyser||M2B Pyment||M2C Berry Mead|
|M2D Stone Fruit Mead||M2E Melomel||M3A Fruit and Spice Mead|
|M3B Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Mead||M4A Braggot||M4B Historical Mead|
|M4C Experimental Mead|
Number of Bottles Required Per Entry:
Judging Session Locations and Dates
The awards ceremony will take place a few weeks after judging.
The 1st place entry in each category will advance to the Best of Show (BOS) round with a single, overall Best of Show beer selected.
Best Club of Show: Rosette and Golden Bear Trophy
Best of Show: Rosette and Golden Bear Trophy
Gold, Silver, and Bronze in each Category: Rosettes
Additional prizes may be awarded to those winners present at the awards ceremony at the discretion of the competition organizers.
Awards will be available for pick up that night after the ceremony concludes. Awards not picked up will be mailed back to participants. Results will be posted to the competition web site after the ceremony concludes.
Scoresheets will be posted to the website in the weeks after competition.
Wednesday, July 15, 2020 12:00 AM, PDT